NFTRA Therapy Horse Criteria:
- Preferably 7-18 years of age.
- Gelding or mare.
- Show or pony club experience preferred. With our limited time & resources, we do not have the ability to train a horse from the ground up, we will only provide training specific to therapeutic needs.
- Comfortable in arena and on trail.
- Have current veterinary records available.
- Be up-to-date on all vaccines and worming.
- Serviceable sound.
- Have been shod or trimmed ten (10) days prior or less.
- Displays even temperament and predictability.
- Can be ridden and led with people on both sides..
- Obeys voice commands in all gaits.
- Lunges through all gaits going both directions.
- Is able to accept strange noises on and around them.
- Performs smooth transitions being led, lunged and ridden.
- Accepts special therapy equipment.
- Can work independently with riders, as well as with assistance.
- Respects people on ground around them.
We cannot accept horses that have chronic health issues such as hock problems, back pain, loss of vision, etc. or behaviors that bear a potential danger to our program.
NFTRA’s Vision is a respectful workplace for all members at our facility. This included horses, riders, volunteers, staff AND our environment. Thank-you for trusting us with your beloved herd member.
Fall Session 2016
(13 weeks) : September 12 – December 10, 2016
Closed long weekend Oct 8,9,10 & Closed Nov 11th
Interested Riders Click Here
Interested in Volunteering Click Here
North Fraser Therapeutic Riding Association (NFTRA), founded in 1973, provides therapeutic riding & equine programming, horse boarding, and instructor training in Maple Ridge, BC. We offer weekly therapeutic riding lessons to over 110 riders a week with the help of 100 weekly volunteers.
A certificate or diploma from a recognized organization as a therapeutic riding instructor.
Ideal Candidates are:
- Effective interpersonal communicators (written & verbal)
- Able to work independently and cohesively with staff, volunteers, and riders for a focus on cooperation and collaboration
- Able to use judgment & analytical thinking while maintaining confidentiality
- Able to maintain rider records and complete reports to all government agencies as required
- Able to attend new rider assessments, volunteer training, and horse shows as assigned
- Adaptable & flexible in directing volunteers prior and during lessons
- Driven by therapeutic values and ethics that apply to all members of our NFTRA community (people, horses, riders and the environment)
- Ability and willingness to work variable hours – Lessons are between 9am and 7pm Monday – Saturday. Some Volunteer Training sessions are on Sundays or evenings. Horse shows are on weekends.
- Ability and willingness to participate in outreach and fundraising activities
Schedule: We offer Therapeutic Riding Lessons 6 days a week in Maple Ridge BC year round. Instructor shifts are 4-5 hrs, Monday- Saturday. We are also expanding programing with Summer Camps and other equine related programming. We are looking for an instructor to cover 1 or more shifts a week.
Additional Asset Qualifications:
- Experience with equine assisted wellness programs
- Certification in equine or riding programs
- Post secondary education in education, health, fitness, wellness or related field
Conditions of Employment : A criminal record check is required
Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter by
Wednesday Aug. 15, 2016
Email or drop off resumes to the NFTRA office (Mon – Fri 9am – 4pm)
Attn: General Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org | NFTRA 13345 Park Lane, Maple Ridge, BC
Mailing Address: North Fraser Therapeutic Riding Association
PO Box 31601 Meadowvale Shopping Centre, Pitt Meadows, BC V3Y 2G7
Thank-you to all applicants, only those applicants who progress to an interview will be contacted.
During the month of July & August our office hours are as follows:
Monday to Thursday (9am to 4pm)
We are closed Friday-Sunday
NFTRA is offering Horse ‘n Nature Day Camps this summer for ALL ABILITIES!
This will be a combination of horses, art activities and garden activities with a team of Therapeutic Riding Instructors and Recreational Therapists. Camps will be a combination of activities for all abilities and all ages.
View NFTRA Camps REGISTRATION FORM >>
Horse ‘n Nature Day Camps @ NFTRA – $347
4 day camp | Mon-Thurs | 9:30 am – 3:30 pm
August 15-18, 2016
Please contact the office @ 604-462-7786 if you would like to discuss a different week.
Our OBS Show runs 8am-5pm both days Saturday and Sunday @ MREC.
Ride Times (alphabetical by first name):
EC Bronze – EC Ride Times – NFTRA OBS 2016 HCBC NFTRA Ride Times & Schedule
View OBS 2016 Program >>
Everyone is invited to come watch our riders at our OBS this Saturday @ NFTRA starting at 9am. Some of our riders will also be riding @MREC around noon Saturday.
Our riders finish here at 11:35 so I’d encourage everyone to come over to MREC at the announcer booth area around 11:45 so we can present our Head Coach who retired in the fall, Fionna Christensen, with her Gratitude Book that was wonderfully put together by our volunteer Val.