NFTRA Therapy Horse Criteria:
- Preferably 7-18 years of age.
- Gelding or mare.
- Show or pony club experience preferred. With our limited time & resources, we do not have the ability to train a horse from the ground up, we will only provide training specific to therapeutic needs.
- Comfortable in arena and on trail.
- Have current veterinary records available.
- Be up-to-date on all vaccines and worming.
- Serviceable sound.
- Have been shod or trimmed ten (10) days prior or less.
- Displays even temperament and predictability.
- Can be ridden and led with people on both sides..
- Obeys voice commands in all gaits.
- Lunges through all gaits going both directions.
- Is able to accept strange noises on and around them.
- Performs smooth transitions being led, lunged and ridden.
- Accepts special therapy equipment.
- Can work independently with riders, as well as with assistance.
- Respects people on ground around them.
We cannot accept horses that have chronic health issues such as hock problems, back pain, loss of vision, etc. or behaviors that bear a potential danger to our program.
NFTRA’s Vision is a respectful workplace for all members at our facility. This included horses, riders, volunteers, staff AND our environment. Thank-you for trusting us with your beloved herd member.